Three brave little plants! Beacons of hope!

I agonize, I cosset, I over-water, I under-fertilize--and worry--and then over-fertilize.
And then there are the times I just forget--and usually the moment of remembrance is followed by one of grief-stricken remorse. But not this time!

Twas back on April 15 2017 that I took a chance on planting something
in the weedy lower north slope. See the flags?

My very lovely friend Bonnie had come up that day in April to help in the garden, and we did some triage on the grasses, which had already gone to seed, and to cheer us up, I just decided on the spur of the moment to do a little planting experiment. Two thimbleberries and a creek dogwood from four-inch pots, tucked into some shade under the wild thicket above.

La de da de da.... time goes by....

So then just the other day I spotted a giant bull thistle in a difficult-to-get-at location and I charged over to chop it down. And on my way.... I spotted....

OMG! I forgot all about those three little plants

I rushed over and....



Amazing! All three plants survived even through two heatwaves,
though the weather otherwise has been cooler than usual.
I was especially amazed by the dogwood! 

I was so happy! And chastened... And thoughtful.

This whole lower north slope has yet to come under management. The upper north is a long and large area and it's looking pretty good - but takes a lot of weeding still, and there is still other work to do there. So I'm not sure when I'll really tackle the lower slope.

This north-west and north facing slope has a sunny side, and a shady side.

To the right - a dark and shady thicket of native blackberries and other native shrubs.
Among which I hear happy burbles of California quail families!
And the sunny side is weedy grasses, mustard, etc. And coyote bush of course!

The fallen tree is a madrone. The flags near the plastic chairs are around our dear dog Duncan's little grave. I transplanted some Hound's tongue onto his grave, which makes me smile! And a few native grasses, which didn't do so well. But a locally-native Ceanothus thyrsiflorus has begun sprouting all by itself, just to the left where it might grow and give some shade for us to sit down there. (See bottom left orange flag.) The plastic chairs are placeholders. Trying to figure out where would be a pleasant sitting spot.

I hope this is a starting point from which a sort of ecological restoration/recreation can breathe its way outward - a little spot of hope in a sea of weeds.

And I cannot tell you how hope-filled and heartened I am, to discover those three brave little plants, leading the way!

Here they are on planting day - well, two of the three



May your gardening day have such high spots in it!

Comments