December Bloom Day (Town Mouse)

Yes! Finally it has rained. After the frost, a gentle, warm rain. Almost 60 degrees yesterday, and wet. I spent the morning in the garden, tidying up and making a few photos for Garden Blogger's Bloom Day, hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Yes, we still have a few blooms. On the left, the last of the California Fuchsia (Epilobium canum). I cut most of it down to 1 inch, but didn't have the heart to cut the ones with blossoms. It's the hummingbirds' favorite, and there isn't all that much left for them.

The Salvia spatacea (Hummingbird sage) did bring out one flower stalk late in fall, but only two blossoms. Still, a welcome bit of color.


Surprisingly, the hummingbirds are very fond of our Tea tree (Leptospermum scoparium). It's certainly the wrong shape of flower, but they come visit almost every morning. While I favor natives, I'm really quite fond of the Tea tree which has some blossoms year round and attracts other birds as well.



The white blooming Chaparral current that I bought at Rana Creek nursery this September is starting to bud out. I'm acutally not sure whether it's Ribes malvaceum or Ribes indecorum, let's see what the blossoms look like. Right now, we have promising buds.

I've planted two currents in the area before the tea tree, which looks a little thin. I hope they'll fare well in this spot, which has quite a bit of sun in summer.


The white Camelia, which has been blooming since early November, is starting to get a little brown around the edges. Randy and Meg's Garden Paradise had a post about white Camelias recently, but I'm still not sure which one this is.


Also not sure about this South African daisy, which I bought in the spring and which has been someone's favorite food until just now. Well, the blossom is welcome, and doesn't it look great with some raindrops on it?


The wine barrel is overflowing from the rains, and the Eriogonum fasciculatum on the left looks happy (no, that's not a real frog front center, it's porcelain).


The first manzanita are also starting to bloom and put out bright green new leaves; a welcome sight after the long summer.

Even the hot tub duckies are enjoying the wet weather and wishing everyone a Happy Bloom Day (the solistice is only a few days away, then the days get longer again).

Comments

Unknown said…
It's so nice to visit you western/southern bloggers with your plethora of still-blooming stuff! The osteo looks like a copper one I've had too...I'll try to find the name but have a bad habit of losing labels...
rebecca Sweet said…
Wow - your manzanita is blooming already? How lucky - mine usually blooms in February....and I had no idea hummers like the Tea tree! Thanks for the beautiful photos on this overcast day.....
Dan said…
Great salvia photo, they are great plants.
Gail said…
Every time I stop by I get for familiar with your great native plants. Have a wonderful day visiting gardens~~gail
Gail said…
ps that's supposed to be get more familiar! LOL gail
Anonymous said…
That manzanita is amazing...wish they grew better down here....may have to try one anyway.
donna said…
Those little duckies are so darn cute and colorful. The Tea tree flowers are pretty and so I can see why the hummers are attracted to them, wrong shape and all. Although I know the hummingbirds are looking for food and not necessarily pretty blooms.

I need to visit more CA blogs. You gals/guys always cheer me up with what you have growing.
Country Mouse said…
Lor love a duck, as they say somewhere. What a fun last picture! I'll post my pics this evening.
chuck b. said…
My manzanitas aren't blooming, but my Ceanothus is! You know what never bloomed for me--the Ribes. I yanked it out. I love my natives, but without flowers I found it hard to justify a Ribes. Anyway, it's in a pot now. Maybe that will stress it out and make it flower. I also had one flower stalk on Salvia spathacea, but failed to get a picture of it.

yay rain!!!
I love the California fuchsia! How nice to have so many different flowers now. Looks like a Water Hawthorn in your water garden? Mine was blooming up until this last freeze.
Brad B said…
I just cut my Ca fuchsia back to the ground. I went to cut it a few weeks ago and there were still blooms and our ever-present hummingbird. I just couldn't, but it finally finished blooming so I hacked away. I'm also jealous of your manzanita. I can't wait till ours bloom.
Melody said…
It seems like not very many people have a Tea Tree. I have one and love it. It almost always has blooms, even here in North Florida, where we usually get some cold weather.
ryan said…
Nice ducks. Those Cal fuchsias really do know how to bloom, don't they? Mine are long past bloom. I really like tea trees, always glad to see them in gardens.
You've got a nice collection of December bloomers. Congrats on the continued rain. The budded natives should be spectacular before too long!
Anonymous said…
Hi Town Mouse, what lively duckies! I am in love with the tea tree, being familiar with if from our time in southern CA. It has so much to offer a garden, as do the other plants you have featured. Good deal on your rain then warmth. Happy gardening and bloom day! :-)
Frances
Nell Jean said…
So many pretties in such bad weather and short days. I'll be thankful for the solstice so we can look forward to later sunsets soon.