San Francisco Botanical Garden


I hadn't visited the San Francisco Botanical Garden for quite a while. Now that non-resident visitors have to pay to get in, I want to make sure I have the time to really enjoy the many different habitats from all over the world. A few days ago, though, the time had come to return, and the garden did not disappoint. Of course, I was especially drawn to the California native areas - the Acer circinatum (vine maple) in the redwood habitat was amazing. I fell in love with it all over again. True, after having lost 2 already that I tried to grow in a large container, I'm just a little cautious. But I think I'll try just once more. Don't you love the fall foilage against the native ginger (Asarum caudatum)?


My friend and I also visited the open California native habitat, and I was somewhat reassured that it looked similar to parts of my garden.


You can see dormant native grasses, and a few Madia - all accented with green in the background. I like even more how this brown/green mix looks along the path.


Here, native iris, and blooming buckwheats, as well as a gray-leaved native sage and a low-growing manzanita result in a pleasing variety of colors and shapes. The rocks are also well placed. Also delightful were a few blossoms of the Fremontodedron (flannel bush), with the branches covered in lichen because of the famous San Francisco fog.


I also greatly enjoyed the succulent garden. It's easy to overlook its beauty when there's flowers everywhere, but this time of year it really stood out.


And I'll leave you with this halloweenish picture from the fragrance garden. I loved the chewed up leaves, together with the dark blossom. Altogether, a wonderful visit to one of my most favorite places on earth.

Comments

I can certainly see why it is one of your favorite places...beautiful! I am hoping to get to a botanical garden nearby for their autumn display. I usually visit during spring, so I am looking forward to seeing everything in its fall best.
I love the look of the path with the native iris and buckwheat. Our native Iris fernaldii seems to prefer to grow along the edge of a road cut here. It would be fair easy I think to slip some buckwheats in between. Thanks for the inspiration!