Love Blooms Behind the Irrigation Controller


It's been very dry and with rainfall below normal and likely to stay there, I've started to irrigate parts of the garden on a once-a-week schedule. Today was the day, and after a leisurely breakfast I went out back to open the irrigation controller door. But wait! Wasn't there a rustling sound? Wasn't there a little hand peaking out from behind the trellis? I whipped out my camera, turned it on, and waited. After a little while I was amazed to see a fairly fat light-colored lizard appear from behind the irrigation controller.


He/she was unfortuately a bit shy, so the photo shows him/her disappearing quickly upon hearing or seeing me click the shutter. I waited a little more, hoping to get a better picture. Ah, there's a little head on the side of the controller. If only I can be patient...


Hopefully, I stayed holding up the camera. But imagine my surprise when, after what seemed like a long time, a second lizard, much darker than the first appeared from behind the controller to enjoy a moment in the sun.


I was so excited! Now all I hope for are plenty of baby lizard as it gets warmer in the spring.

Happy Valentine's Day, Friends!

Comments

Benjamin Vogt said…
Give us some shots of lizard "action," and then we can plan for a festival of lizard babies.
Country Mouse said…
Ah! a tryst in the trellis indeed! I'm also looking forward to seeing my fence lizard friends - haven't seen so many, even though we've had this warm spell. The ones I do see are last year's babies I think.
Town Mouse said…
Ah Benjamin, if only I had a glass irrigation controller... Unfortunately, the way things are, it's all left to our imagination.
grumblebunny said…
Awww! Who has little hands? Who?
Chloe m said…
I never thought of lizards as being romantic but it has to start somewhere.
How sweet! There have been a lot more lizards in my garden this spring too - I think they really enjoyed that warm spell but I am so glad to see the rain today!
Diana Studer said…
Every time I am out with the watering can little dark shapes skitter away. Sometimes they seem to skitter forward, but it is GREY water. Oh well, mostly rinsing water from the washing machine so not very grey ...
Anonymous said…
Well it certainly isn't dry weather anymore. 10 days of rain and counting are in the forecast :)
I love lizards and have fond memories as a kid looking for their babies. Nice pictures and a great post!