GGW July photo competition (Flowering Trees) - July in the chaparral garden

This is my entry for the Gardening Gone Wild flowering tree photo competition. I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries. The ones I've seen are just lovely.

This is a photo of Hairy Manzanita (Arctostaphylos crustacea). Next year's blooms ready and loaded. One little apple from this year. It grows naturally on our ridgetop Santa Cruz Mountains property.

The rest of the blog has some more photos from the restoration chaparral garden, in our soon-to-be-maybe defensible zone. (Not for the competition.)

Toyon in bloom - top of the ridge, all naturally occuring natives. Non-natives removed and and blackberries pruned back. It's slowly evolving to garden status. In this photo from left to right:
Toyon (Heteromeles arbutifolia) blooming (left and right!)
Coastal Wood Fern (Dryopteris arguta)
Deerweed (Lotus scoparius) in the middle
Blue Elderberry (Sambucus mexicana) growing up through the toyon.
Pink Everlasting (Gnaphtalium mrmosissimum) on the lower right.

Steps down into the chaparral. I made these last year, kind of improvised. They are quite sturdy so far. I'll plant along them on the right in Fall. Maybe some of the natives I've propagated if I'm lucky.

Bee plant (Scrophularia californica)

The white blossoms just coming are Saint Catherine's Lace (Eriogonum giganteum) - Those I planted. Everything else is naturally occurring. Hairy Manzanita (Arctostaphylos crustacea) on the left.

Comments

Ooooo, I love those steps!
Teresa said…
Good luck in the contest! I like your stairs, I just did a stone patio myself, so I have an appreciation of the hard work involved. Those will look great with plants you will be putting in.
Okay, I'm afraid I'm like the rest of them. That chapparal was pretty, and I totally approve the idea of restoration of native plants. But the STAIRS! Oh my oh my. I just love them, and when you finish the planting they are going to be stunning. As far as I am concerned, those stairs win the contest hands down.
Oh, yeah, I'm with Teresa. I do stone work. I know how hard that was to accomplish.
Country Mouse said…
Thanks for the kind words on the stairs - those are compliments indeed from others who work in stone. I'm just a beginner, working from books - but I love stonework! And - I have lots of opportunities to build more steps. Everything is slopes on our property except the flattened off top of the ridge.
WiseAcre said…
You get my vote for a job well done. I like the combination of round and flat. Want a job? I'm looking for someone with a good eye and back.