Temptation

Last weekend, I fell in love with a very attractive-looking ground-level bird bath made of granite. Nicely shaped of beautiful stone, it had a 4-inch polished bowl. Very pretty. It seemed the perfect addition to my newly planted, somewhat bare looking front yard. I knew just the spot. Kind of expensive, though, and my charming husband could not believe how much I was thinking of spending on a rock with a hole in it. But the temptation was great.
Then I did a little more research on bird baths, and what I really already knew (having 3 bird baths in my garden already) made me stop and think. Bird baths should be 2-3 inches deep (not deeper). The surface should be rough (not polished). Mmmm. What were the producers of those bird baths thinking? And why hadn't I realized this right away?
So, freed from temptation, and feeling as if I just saved a lot of money, I went to Annies Annuals for their fabulous fall sale. And fabulous it was. Using their Totally Useful Plant lists and concentrating on California Natives, I purchased 5 native Dudlia, Pt. Reyes Wallflower, an interesting Penstemon, and a Needlegrass. They'll arrive in a few days, beautifully packaged by the nice people at Annie's, and I know just the spot for each of them.

Comments